Group name - Hull Handbell Change Ringers

Treble Bob Methods


  Treble Bob Minor - Duke of Norfolk

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor

About Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor

Duke of Norfolk is a 2nds place Lead End Variation of Sandal Treble Bob.

Site Sections:

Structure

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor is structurally identical with Sandal Treble Bob apart from the lead end.

Method Structure.

Place Notation:
X 34 X 16 X 12 X 16 X 12 X 56, 12, Bob 14, Single 1234.

Grid:

Duke of Norfolk TB change rows with grid

Diagram: 106.05.00 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, plain lead, change-rows and grid.

Plain Course structure
90% of this method is pure Oxford Treble Bob in structure. The remaining 10% has a disproportionate impact on the blue lines.


Learning

Learning Duke of Norfolk.

The Structure

Learning Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor after Sandal Treble Bob is deceptively easy, just a 2nds over the treble at the lead end, and a couple of dodges instead of plain hunting.

The Rules

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor - the rules
Ring Oxford Treble Bob until the treble lies behind.
When the Treble lies behind, 5ths place is made, and the bells in 1-2, and 3-4 dodge.
When the Treble leads 2nds place is made, and the bells in 3-4, and in 5-6 dodge.


Double Blue Lines
1-2

Double Blue Lines

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, 1-2

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor on 1-2

Diagram: 106.05.01 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, 1-2.


3-4

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, 3-4

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor on 3-4

Diagram: 106.05.02 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, 3-4.


5-6

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, 5-6

Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor on 5-6

Diagram: 106.05.03 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor, 5-6.


Artefacts
Place Notation
Grid

Artefacts

The challenges of Sandal are all present but the lead end is made easier by more static work.

Place Notation and Grid

The pictorial grid emphasises the structure of the method better than the Place Notation.

Pictels

As with Oxford Treble Bob Minor, the rules are a good approach to the method, and splitting into individual elements is of no value.


Ringing

Ringing Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor.

Track the treble

Awareness of the position of the treble is a key skill for most bellringing methods, and is the major key to ringing Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor. Some hints and tips for developing the skill are given in the techniques section.

The skill of following the treble that is used in ringing Oxford Treble Bob is brought into Sandal Treble Bob, and hence into Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor so that as the treble dodges in 5-6 up, the ringers can be fully aware of the positions of their bells in preparation for the half lead dodge, and crucially for the work that follows.

Awareness of the treble approaching the lead is important for Duke of Norfolk to be ready for the lead-end dodges.

Positional Awareness

As with Sandal Treble Bob Minor Duke of Norfolk aids the development of awareness of 1-2, vs 3-4.

Place Notation Elements

The method only contains 5 elements (X, 12, 16, 34, 56), all of which will already have been rung.

Place Bells, Pivot Leads, and Staging posts

For 3-4 pair, the pivot point is when the pair dodges together in 1-2.
For 5-6 pair, the pivot point is when they triple dodge together in 3-4 under the treble.

Awareness of other bells

Most ringers on encountering Sandal Treble Bob find it quite tricky to ring well, and have little spare mental capacity for considering other bells. Duke of Norfolk is slightly easier at the lead end.

Coursing Order in Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob

The Oxford places and half lead structure make coursing order quite difficult to apply to Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob.

Ringing the Method

The great benefit of ringing Duke of Norfolk TB is that both the rules and the structure are easy to follow, and without lengthy study, the method demands that the ringers follow the treble.


Calls

Bobs and Singles.

Bobs The plain lead end is 12 and the bob as a 14 seems much more "natural", somewhat similar to Oxford Bob Minor.

Singles Singles are rarely used in Treble Bob Minor.


Touches

Touches of Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor.

4ths place bell is the pivot bell, and hence the first lead end is 164523 giving calling positions from the tenor as:
Before, Wrong, In, 4ths, Home.

Touch:144 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor


Touch: 240 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor


Touch: 720 Duke of Norfolk Treble Bob Minor